Thursday, May 2, 2013

That Special Bond

I had a bit of a revelation today.

But first, a little history:

Growing up we were never allowed any pets. No dogs, no cats, no hamsters. My parents did have a beagle dog when my eldest brother was little, but he was extremely naughty. Ultimately, he ran away and, needless to say, my parents weren't too upset when they couldn't find him. Now, when I went to the Penny Carnival with my family when I was little, I won a goldfish. "Penny" lasted for a little while, until she decided to jump ship one day, as it were. Then I won "Silver" and "Gold" at another summer carnival. Wow, two fish! Well, Gold ate Silver (he was tinier), and then, just like her like-colored predecessor, she abandoned ship with, well, abandon. In fact, we couldn't even find her until one day she was found behind the radiator. Um, yeah...

Anyway, besides that naughty dog and my ill-fated goldfish, no pets for us. My Grandmother had a cat and dogs, and my Aunt had an English Springer Spaniel named Charlie. Also, my best friend had dogs and cats, so I was able to surround myself with animal love, without the hassle of trying to guilt-trip my parents into getting us a puppy.

Because I was able to be around animals and the people who cared for them, I have always been a little jealous of the beautiful bond that forms between them. I never really thought I would have that.

Which leads to my revelation...

I do have that bond now.

My Dude and I have bonded sooo much. He even knows my routine now, and when I get home from work there he is waiting at the door.

"Meeeewwww!" He'll screech.

"Hey, Dude!" I'll say as I scoop him up for what I have dubbed "a proper greeting." I scoop him up into my arms and give him a hug, he purrs happily and then licks my nose. It's all very sweet.

And there is rarely any fear or hesitation that I feel around him. I know I can grab his head in my hands and kiss his furry little noggin, or rub him all over, or grab his foot, and he is not going to bite me or scratch me. He trusts me, and I trust him too. Now, that doesn't mean I'm going to sit there and annoy him, because then he might, and I wouldn't blame him!

No, it's just... a friendship.

A camaraderie.

We enjoy being with each other, and we're comfortable and happy when we are.

It's not so bad having a kitty as a best friend.

Nope, not bad at all.


— E & L




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...